License Exam Sessions
The Williamsburg Area Amateur Radio Club holds testing sessions several times a year. Tests are offered for all levels of amateur licenses (Technician, General, and Amateur Extra.)
The following is the upcoming VE testing schedule:
- There is a test session scheduled for October 29, 2022 at 9am at the James City-Bruton Volunteer Fire Department. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or to register for the test session. A map to the Bruton station is at the bottom of the page.
- We also offer testing as needed. When you are ready to take an exam, please email email@example.com with your contact information to set up a testing session. Our VE coordinator Kerry NH2A will coordinate having 3 VEs to administer any exam(s) you wish to take.
- Other testing opportunities can be found at http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session.
- A government issued picture ID
- New license applicants must register for a Federal Registration Number (FRN). Click the link to jump to the FCC web page where you can register for your FRN. If you are currently licensed you do not need to register for a FRN.
- A copy of your current FCC license if you are already licensed and upgrading
- An original and a copy of any CSCE you may have recently received if the upgrade is not reflected on your current license
- Two pencils and a pen (pencils for filling out the answers, a pen for filling out the Form 605) We have provided spare pens in the past but due to COVID we prefer you bring your own.
- A simple calculator (smart phone type devices, including watches and other devices that have memories, will not be permitted)
- $15 examination fee. A check or money order, made payable to ARRL-VEC, is the preferred form of payment, though cash is acceptable.
Current COVID-19 guidelines do not require face coverings, however we encourage anyone wishing to wear a face covering for protection to do so.
After successfully completing an exam candidates may continue upgrading for the same $15 fee at this session only. If a candidate fails an exam, it may be retaken for an additional $15 exam fee. Exams must be taken in the order of license class progression–Technician, General and finally Amateur Extra. The FCC will require a fee of $35.00 for a new license starting April 19, 2022. This does not apply for current license upgrades. The FCC will collect it via an online process, not at the local test session.
***PLEASE PARK IN THE REAR PARKING LOT of the fire station***
DIRECTIONS: From Williamsburg, take Route 60 (Richmond Road) toward Richmond (West) past Norge and as you get into Toano, there will be a grassy median in the road. As the road begins a strong curve to the right, turn LEFT onto Forge Rd (just before the Farmer’s Market). The Fire Station is immediately on your left. The testing area is on the right side of the building in the Roanoke Classroom.
Map to James City-Bruton Fire Station: